Onion Soup


I came up with this recipe on Sunday when I realised I had nothing in to make lunch for work on Monday - just lots and lots of onions. It's very simple to make and full of flavour. I'm not sure what the cost works out as but it's not much. Unfortunately my laptop’s broken so I’m using public computers and can’t upload any pictures.

Makes 2 portions

300g onions, chopped (this is around 2 decent sized onions)
250mls milk
200mls veg or chicken stock
Half a tsp nutmeg
4 to 6 tbsp instant mash potato powder
Black pepper to taste
A generous chunk of butter to fry the onions in

Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the onions. Fry on a medium heat until the onions are soft.

Add everything except the instant mash powder. Bring to a simmer. Add the mash powder a bit at a time until it's a thickness that you're happy with. Simmer for 30 mins.

Serve with crusty bread or, if you're bread's past it's best, cut it up, drizzle it in olive oil, toast it and have it as chunky croutons.

Comments